I’ve been seeing these little virtual ribbons/thumbnails flying up all over the blogosphere:
This particular one is actually mine. I was nominated by my most favorite squirrel in the world, ES over at Evil Squirrel’s Nest . Thank you ES! I have my red lipstick on…MWAH MWAH!
There are some technicalities involved with this that I’m going to get thru and then I’ll get on to pontificating and spouting off a little bit (again, sometimes you just gotta look the $5 words up because I can’t be bothered with thinking of something else). The technicalities:
- Select the blog(s) you think deserve the ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award
- Write a blog post and tell us about the blog(s) you have chosen – there’s no minimum or maximum number of blogs required – and ‘present’ them with their award.
- Please include a link back to this page ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award – http://thethoughtpalette.co.uk/our-awards/blog-of-the-year-2012-award/ and include these ‘rules’ in your post (please don’t alter the rules or the badges!)
- Let the blog(s) you have chosen know that you have given them this award and share the ‘rules’ with them
I think it would go without saying that ES gets a nod back. Apart from that, I have a fairly short list of nominees. I do follow a number of blogs but I don’t participate in/on that many. I think participation is a necessary ingredient, not just admiration. My nominees:
- Evil Squirrel’s Nest – I adore ES. I look forward to his comic strip every week as well as his other posts. That I make an occasional appearance in his comic strip is an honor.
- Lady or Not- You CANNOT read Becca’s posts and not fall out of your chair laughing! I don’t think it’s possible to not comment on her posts! Definitely her claim of Best Blog in the Entire Universe is well founded, lol!
- Jason Writes- Jason is a feature writer on Ladyornot.com whose versatility shows front and center on his own blog. Read his take on 50 Shades of Grey…
- 10 Things I hate about my Ex- Evie would be one of my mates to take along on “girls night”. Again, someone who makes me laugh… laughter is a very important ingredient while growing up!
Okay, so I have all of that out-of-the-way. Now, down to brass tacks.
I’m on the fence about the whole “award” thing. I am in no way unappreciative of ES or folks who wish to give out accolades to those they feel are deserving. I listed the blogs I did because I feel they are deserving themselves but leave the choice of acknowledgement up to them. And to show my own appreciation I will display the thumbnail until the end of the year.
I use to get these virtual awards all the time; back in the day when I had another blog… you know, before they were called “blogs” and were just websites where you talked narcissistic crap about yourself and tried to hawk your wares. Anyway, I’d get them all the time and I’d put them up and I’d bask in the glory of everyone congratulating me and feel good about myself and what I had accomplished. I mean, it is nice to be acknowledged by your peers. What Muse doesn’t like to be stroked when it’s panting hard and heavy? The Muse started smokin’ dope or somethin’ and talking gibberish and I started stumbling. I still kept getting attaboys. The Muse decided to pack a bag and check out one day. Awards kept coming in even though there was no production going on. WTF? Who does that? Why give an award or nominate someone if they haven’t done something in a year or more? Wouldn’t you at least email them or something, ask “what’s up?”? Do people not know how to use a dictionary to look up the word “archive” if they don’t know what it means?
Yeah, I know, take the site down if it bothered you that much. I did… the day I got an email that made me weep. The Muse had been on an extended vacation for 3 friggin’ years.
SMH ~muttering…damn people…never…closet…dark…fucking goose………